Lots of our clients ask us how to make ceviche. We always explain that there are plenty of ways to prepare this dish. This is the way we, at Costa Rica Vacations, like to eat it.
1 pound firm flesh white fish, diced
1 medium red onion, diced
1 medium red, yellow or green bell pepper, finely diced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup lime juice
Extra ingredient of your choice: tabasco, mango juice
- Put the fish into a ceramic or glass bowl. It should be fully covered in the liquid. Put the rest of the ingredientes on a different bowl with vinegar.
- Marinate for at least 20 or 30 minutes or until fish is opaque.
- Remove the excess of liquid on both bowls, leaving just a litlle bitt of lime juice.
- Mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve on a bed of green vegetable like lettuce with tortilla chips or crackers.
- Use only white fresh fish. Most fish works for ceviche, but the best kinds are semi-firm white-fleshed ocean fish like sea bass, mahi-mahi, striped bass, grouper, sole or flounder. You can also use shrimp or octopus.
- Not a fish lover, you can make a vegi ceviche.
- Cook the ceviche the same day you buy the fish.
- Keep the fish cold.
- Remove the bloodline.
- The components should be evenly sized and finely choped so they marinate evenly.
- Always try to experiment with an extra ingredient like avocado, mango, sweet corn, coconut or anything else you can come up with.