A couple of weeks ago, we gave you some interesting facts worth knowing about the rainforest, now it’s time to bring you some general costa rican facts we bet you didn’t know about the country and customs of Costa Rica!
1. Food is generally eaten with a spoon, forks are rarely used. A good portion of food eaten in Costa Rica would simply slip through the fork!
2. Coffee is commonly given to babies in a baby bottle and to young children.
3. Roman Catholicism is the official religion of the country, but freedom of religion is guaranteed by the Costa Rican constitution.
4. Speed bumps in Costa Rica are called “son muertos”, meaning “dead persons”.
5. The literacy rate in Costa Rica is one of the highest in the world – 97%!
6. The law that Costa Rica have no military force is written into their constitution.
7. Fast food restaurants, like McDonald’s, often make home deliveries.
8. Lillies are not a good flower to give in Costa Rica as they are a symbol of death.
9. 25% of the total land in Costa Rica is made up of designated national parks and environmental protection areas.
10. Costa Rica translates to “Rich Coast” in Spanish.
11. Costa Rica declared its independence from Spain in 1821, but Spain did not recognize it as an independent country until 1850.